Jul 9, 2013

The Asian touch

Some people might say that my art keeps changing, some might also say that I have no consistency, and therefore other might say, that by being all over, my art is not solid. Well... they might have a point... or not... :-)

I have read an article recently about building a consistent body of work for an exhibition. Even raising this topic means that not all artists work the same. Some would work with the same media most of their life or stick to the same subject and others.. well.. will be all over.

The truth is that I get so bored easily. With everything! My art is who I am, looking for other venues to ease my boredom.
However, looking at my art during the last 15 years (and I am indicating just the last 15 years, because I started to be a full-time artist 15 years ago), you can see, not only the changes, but also how my previous art influence my current one, and how my surrounding influences it too.

I have just finished a new painting. 15 years ago I was working a lot with ready-made. For example look here. Then I moved back and forth from media to media, however, acrylics were the "home" I've always returned to.

Using my nowadays methods I gave my painting a "twist". I added a ready-made (broken china) and painted a Chinese plate. I am in Singapore after all :-)



And of-course it has the hint of mosaic art which I love so much :-)

4 comments:

  1. Keep exploring. It makes what you do more exciting. Who is interested in something that never changes?
    Love it!
    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the essence of your work remains the same over time. The execution is what changes with outside influences. I can almost always pick your work out of a crowd - no matter what the media. It just screams IRIT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pat.
    I know what you mean. I have the same with so many artists. There is a kind of thread that your art always follows, no matter what you do.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete